Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 tbls butter mixed with ¼ cup flour – keep aside
- 1 tbls cornstarch mixed with ½ cup milk – keep aside
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 huge potato cubed
- 2 cups raw chicken diced, mixed with 1 tbls Worcestershire sauce and seasoned with salt and pepper and the herbs
- ½ cup peas
- 1 cup chicken broth for a richer saucier filling or water
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tbls sage
- 1 tbls parsley
- 1 tbls curly parsley
- 1 tbls chives
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- 1 tsp pepper
- Melt the butter and saute the onion, carrot, celery and potatoes.
- Add the chicken, salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes until the potatoes are just tender.
- Add the rest of the spices.
- Add the kneaded butter and stir until dissolved.
- Next add the cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the peas and add the lemon juice and let the mixture cool.
Pastry – makes two 9 inch pie crusts
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold margarine
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Milk or beaten egg for brushing
- In a food processor, combine the flour and salt.
- Add the margarine and pulse a few seconds at a time until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the water and vinegar, and pulse again until the dough just begins to form. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and form into two balls.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Roll out the dough and line a 9-inch pie plate.
- Roll out the other ball for the top.
- Spoon the chicken filling into the crust. Brush around the dough with milk and cover with the second sdough.
- The milk acts as a binding agent to seal the edges of the pie.
- Flute the edges and brush the top of the pie.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
(Double the recipe for 2 pies)
Be brave and play with the herbs and spices to give the classic chicken pot pie that extra kick.
Tagged under: chicken pot pie