Nordic Nut Bread (Paleo Bread)
- 5 oz (100 g) sunflower seeds
- 5 oz (100 g) pumpkin seeds
- 5 oz (100 g) whole almonds
- 5 oz (100 g) walnuts
- 5 oz (100 g) linseed (flax seed is linseed)
- 5 oz (90 g) sesame seeds
- white poppy seed
- 5 oz (100 g) water
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg powder
(¾ cup = 100g = 3.5oz) (ratio 2 cups nuts: 4 cups seeds)
(the seeds and nuts used are unsalted)
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Line the bread tin with parchment paper.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and tidy up the edges. This bread does not rise like yeasted bread, therefore it will bake as you mould it.
- For 1 quart bread tin bake for 1 hour at 160°C. It’s that easy.
- Let it completely cool before slicing.
- For this bread I used M. Rasmussen’s recipe as the base and personalized it. The spices added are so subtle you hardly taste it. However, it adds that extra flavour to the nuts. My first taste of this bread was on a sampling bread tray at a Danish pastry shop in Oakville. I was hooked and I just had to bake it myself. I wasn’t going to pay $12 CAD for a loaf of bread when I could bake it myself.
Nordic nut bread, stone age bread or paleo bread; it tastes so good.