Authentic French Canadian Pea Soup
I got this recipe from Uncle Donald. His mum a French Canadian; this is how she made it for him.
- 2 cups yellow whole peas soaked overnight
- 1 ham hock or bacon piece
- 1 tbls savory
- 1 tbls thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 medium carrot grated and the juice squeezed out
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- salt and pepper
- 8 cups of water
- 2 tbls butter
- 2 tbls olive oil
- A slow cooker would come in handy. You can do everything in the slow cooker.
- Bring the slow cooker into high heat and add the butter and the oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery and the herbs.
- Stir until they are cooked.
- Add the peas, ham hock and bay leaf.
- Slow cook the pea soup for 8-10 hours. Sit and relax.
For super busy mums, put everything into the slow cooker and let the soup simmer during the day in slow heat.
The end result is the same and you will be coming home to a hot plate of French Canadian pea soup during a cold winter night.
I had a very a close relationship with my slow cooker when I was not working from home.
The aroma of the dinner would permeate the entire house and it was wonderful to sit at the kitchen table and serve hot dinner to my family that was already waiting for me.
Which is why you should have two slow cookers. You name it and I would have cooked it in my slow cooker.
Take the ham hock out and slice it to serve with the soup. Goes well with homemade dinner rolls.
Let me know how yours turns out.